Saturday, January 12, 2008

Everything's Gonna be Alright!

So, I've made promises to a lot of family and friends that I would update my blog with our crazy story from this past week and some pictures. So... here we go...

I think that the story actually starts last friday. Carson was having what I thought was just a fussy, sleepy day. All of my newborns have gone back and forth the first few weeks between sleepy days and alert days and last friday I attributed to a "sleepy day". Saturday, early morning (probably around 3am) Carson woke up to be fed. I instinctively got him out of his bassinet and nursed him. When he was done, I layed him back down and then layed down myself to go back to sleep. Suddenly it occured to me( in all of my deliriousness) that Carson felt hot to me while I was holding him. I reached over from my bed to feel his forehead. Yes, he really did feel warm. So I got out of bed to look for a thermometer. I finally found one and when I checked, his temperature read 102.8 f. HOLY CRAP! Was that right??? I un-bundled him and took his clothes off and checked again in 10 minutes.... still 102.8. So... Off we went to the rinky-dink emergency room here in our small little town.
Carson's Dr., and family friend, was on-call that night and when I saw him I immediately started bawling. He and the nurse came back to check him. They started running all of the tests that are routinely done on newborns with fevers. Between drawing his blood and starting an I.V., he got atleast 5 pokes. He then had to have a chest x-ray. Then... the bad news... he had to have a spinal tap to rule out menangitis. UGH... I knew it had to be done, but I did not want him to have to endure that kind of pain. I signed the consent and the Dr. began the test. After several pokes and a lot of screaming, he gave up and let another Dr. come in and try. Well, that Dr. couldn't get it either and I thought I might punch somebody watching him try all over again. It took everything out of me to not lose my mind and run from there with my sweet baby. After that Dr. couldn't get fluid either, I was told that he'd let the PICU dr. at St. Lukes in Boise try. We have to go to St. Lukes??? Yes and they want you to be Life Flighted by Helicopter! I completely lost it at this moment. The severity of the situation hit me and I horrible thoughts of going home without my sweet baby. And now I'm crying all over again just typing about it.
Well, we ended up just going up there in an ambulance and were quickly admitted to the PICU. They took his temp again - still 102.8, hooked him up to a cardiac monitor, a pulse-oximeter, and put oxygen tubes in his nose. He was breathing really funny and the Dr. was sure it was pneumonia. He wasn't able to get on-line to check the chest x-ray that was already done, so he ordered another one. It looked like it was maybe the start of pneumonia, but didn't look horrible. He then told me that he needed to do another spinal tap and try to get that fluid. I asked him about pain control because of the screaming that I'd already witnessed earlier. He agreed to give him a little sedative in his i.v. before starting. My husband got there just before they did this, Thank Goodness!!!, because as soon as they gave him the sedative he went completely limp and stopped breathing! We watched them rush to place the oxygen mask on him and shake, rub, pinch,.... whatever it took to finally get him to breathe and cry again. It seemed like an eternity, but I know it was only a few moments. My husband and I left the room because I couldn't possibly watch another spinal tap. They got fluid this time so he wouldn't have to go through that again. However, after removing the fluid he got what is called a "spinal headache". He screamed for hours and we knew he was in sooo much pain that we could do nothing for. My husband and I took turns holding him, not rocking, because that seemed to agrivate him more. Finally in the middle of the night he seemed to settle a little.
The next day he seemed to be doing better. The tests were all coming back negative and the Dr. even did another chest x-ray that came back pristine - completely clear of any signs of pneumonia. The were going to let us out of the PICU and go to a normal Pediatric room, but then Carsons fever spiked again to 102.8 and his heart rate jumped to around 230 bpm. So, they kept us there under close supervision. These pictures are all from day 2, sunday... he'd had the oxygen removed, but was very puffy. They say this was a result from the fluids and also a reaction from his body fighting whatever infection he had.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The next day we were able to go to a different room. All of his tests, both viral and bacterial, were still coming back negative. But, they said for as small as he is, and as sick as he was they wanted to keep him for a full 7 days on i.v. antibiotics just incase we got a false negative. I also carry group B strep, so they were very concerned that he could have contracted it regardless of the antibiotics I was given during labor and delivery. So... we stayed with little complaints for the full seven days. We had a few set backs throughout the week. His fever came back a few times, but much lower. His I.V. infiltrated, and his poor little arm was twice the size of the other, so they had to restart it in his foot. On tuesday, he stopped peeing and we had to restart his fluids. He got some nasal congestion which caused his oxygen levels to drop so they had to suction him and re-test for RSV - still negative. Late Wednesday afternoon was the first that I finally felt like he was getting back to normal. He seemed to be content and in little or no pain.
When Cliff got there that night he said that he might need to run to Target to pick up a few things for the house, unless ofcourse I wanted to go instead. Ahhhhhh.... I took him up on the offer. So after nursing Carson, I headed out for my breath of real air. When I got in the car I turned the radio on to hear this playing.....

I know that she's singing to her boyfriend or lover or whatever in this song, but the words came across so strong to me and I started crying.... again... "everything's gonna be alright"
I know - cheesy, but.....
So we weren't supposed to come home til saturday, but the dr was concerned about him being exposed to RSV or something else in the hospital, so on friday he gave him a shot of antibiotics that would last 24 hours and let us go. When he told me we got to go home, yes... I started crying. I think I had lost perspective and was sure that I'd be there forever. It feels so good to be home, back with my other kids, in my own bed at night, to just have Carson back home and better.
Here he is this morning, just as happy as I am to be home.
Photobucket
We're so grateful for all of the help from our friends and family this last week, especially for all of the thoughts and prayers.

28 comments:

Lee said...

Oh Amanda how scary. I am glad he is doing better. I am so sorry you had to go through this. Poor baby Carson.

The Holverson Family said...

Wow! What an emotional week you have had! I am so glad to hear that Carson is doing fine after all that poking and miserable things you both went through!! Keep us updated!

Elissa said...

I am so sorry that all happened. How horrible. I really cant imagine what you both were going thru! Praise God he is okay. I'm so glad he is back where he belongs. Poor little man.

Jill said...

Happy to hear you're all home and feeling better. These pictures remind me of our time at the NICU when my now 2.5 year old was born. Such a scary place for little ones to be. I will keep you all in my prayers as you continue to mend!

Allison said...

I still have to read this whole story... gotta get the kids to bed first. Email is chanfamily(at)byu(dot)net. Love ya, girl!

Kim said...

I'm glad you are back at home. My nephew stopped breathing the other night (he's a year old) and it about killed us all. I'm sorry you had to go through that and to never found out what was wrong with him. I'll be praying for your little guy.

Mary Gundrum said...

I just happened to stumble upon your blog and it's beautiful! I am so sorry to hear about your week, but I am grateful your little one is fine! That can be so frightening, your entry reminded of my ordeal with bringing my first born into the emergency and then a hospital stay for three days. It is hardly what you went through, but it is so difficult to see those little one's suffer! You take beautiful photos, beautiful family!

Mary

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Oh Amanda....I'm in tears.

I'm so happy that everything is all right. I can't imagine seeing my baby go through anything like that. How scary it must have been for you. I know what it is like having someone so sick and in the ICU and how horrible it is. (and I understand relating songs to your feelings.... yours totally fits).

Little Carson is just adorable. Poor sweet boy. Your pictures are wonderful....they tell your story. The last one is gorgeous.....I love his big brown eyes!

amazing grace said...

oooh, i am so glad your sweet baby is home....we had to take our dd to the hospital when she was just a baby--and it is not fun. Scary and emotional and exhausting for sure. I am so glad he is home and doing better!

leah

Holly said...

I can't tell you how relieved I was to get your text saying that you were home. You don't know how many times I just wanted to hop on a plane and come be with you in the hospital. I'm so glad that you and sweet baby Carson are home and recovering. Love ya!

jordan.krogman said...

Amanda -- I'm so happy to hear that everything is okay now. How awful for you, your little guy, and the whole family to have to go through that. . .

Tressa said...

Oh Amanda, I am so sorry for everything that happened to your cute family this week. That is just awful! Thank goodness for modern medicine and such!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Amanda! I am wiping the tears from my eyes as I write this. What a week for you and your family! How scary!
I was told about your little guy on Thursday and I have been praying for him and your family since. I am so glad to hear that you both are home and he is doing alright.
What a little trooper he is!
I love that picture of him that you took today. You can really see that "Everything will be alright" through those sweet eyes of his.
I am here if you need anything Amanda.

Laurie said...

That last picture if Carson is so sweet. You really can see his joy at being home. Thank heaven you are all home and safe. Cohen is talking next to me. I think he is saying he's glad his cousin is doing so much better. Love you!

Sarah Lunt said...

Amanda,

I had no idea this happened. I'm so relieved to hear that he is fine now. I seriously cried and cried as I read the story. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Love,
Sarah

Sydney said...

Oh Amanda, what a flood of emotion I have. I know EXACTLY how you feel. My first son Gibson was born with Group B Strep. Of course they didn't know what it was at first so he was poked and had 3 spinal taps and many, many IV's until they finally put in a central line. We spent 14 days in the hospital and all I could do was cry and watch TV. I couldn't hold him very often because of the monitors and we couldn't leave our room. It was horrible. Home becomes a wonderful place after such an ordeal. I'm glad you're home and that he's doing well.

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
I am so glad you are home and baby Carson is doing well. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard. I just burned that song to a CD last saturday and have been listening to it all week. I think I have been needing that message too. Everything's gonna be alright! Please let me know if I can do anything to help you.
Lots of Love,
Amanda T.

Anne Pearson Photography said...

What a scary experience...the PICU is no fun, we sure know first hand. I'm so glad that your little man is ok and that the infection is under control. I'm sorry you had to see him in so much pain and that they couldn't do much for that part of his ordeal. What a hard...hard thing. OK, even your pics in the PICU look great....you talented lady, you! Got lotsa questions for you when life settles down a bit for you! I'm glad you're home with your little man. Love, Anne

Laura said...

Wow, what a hard week you and your family had. I'm so glad that he is now doing better and that you're home. LOVE the picture of him from today. He's just gorgeous!

Mom2Drew said...

Ohmyword! I can't imagine what you guys were going through. I'm so thankful that he's home and looks to be happy once again. God bless you and your family!

Stephanie said...

I usually just lurk around your blog, but this time I had to comment. First of all..I am so glad that things are 'normal' again and that you and your little guy are doing better. I know exactly what all this feels like, but that doesn't mean I wasn't sitting here just a crying while reading your post. (Maybe being pregnant right now, and almost ready to deliver doesn't help, right?) Anyway..just wanted to say how grateful I am things are looking better..

Hang in there.. :D

The Wolfley Family said...

Oh, I am just crying as I read this! I heard a little bit, but not the full details and the weight of your awful week is really sinking in. I am so sorry you guys had to go through this. We have been praying for him and are so glad he's ok. That last shot is truly beautiful and so heartwarming!

Debbie said...

All I can say is WOW...how scary & fearful! We just don't know what a day will bring. Praise God he's OK & you're all back home now & normal. We struggle to see God's hand in things and yet so many times He brings us back to "normal" & we see life with a different perspective. (Can you tell I've been reflecting lately?) Been a rough week here too...
Thanks for sharing your heartfelt story!

Letia said...

I am so sorry that you and your family had to go through so much, it's so scary to see our loved ones suffer!

Anonymous said...

Oh I can't even imagine....how scary for all of you! I'm so glad he's doing better....you guys are in our prayers.

DisneyWorldFan said...

I dont' know you and you dont know me but I stumbled across your blog and was touched by your story. Having a little one like that as sick as he was is sooo scary. I am glad to see that God helped you all through this time and that you are home again with the other kids. Love and Prayers!

Jennifer said...

I've admired your photography from 2peas. I just came across your blog that I'd bookmarked some time ago.

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that with your little one. My baby is only 2 1/2 weeks old, so with all my hormones I was crying along with you. I can't imagine.

Love the pictures of baby in the wrap. So happy to hear your family is back home together.

Crystalyn said...

just stumbled upon your blog and reading this reminded me of taking my 2 week old to the hospital via ambulance with oxygen in the 50's. we were admitted for a week and a half with rsv. it is such an emotional experience. i'm so glad your baby is ok and that all is well now.